WELCOME RECEPTION, JULY 29, 2019
CELEBRATION, JULY 30-31, 2019
Hopper Down Under is a celebration of diversity in technology in the Asia-Pacific. Created by women technologists, for women technologists, this inaugural conference is produced by AnitaB.org.
Hopper Down Under is modeled on the AnitaB.org Grace Hopper Celebration, aimed to empower women technologists in the Asia-Pacific. It brings together women technologists at all levels, from undergraduate to CEO, along with members from industry leading companies, academia, and research, to build relationships, learn, and advance their careers.
Hopper Down Under offers technical and career development sessions, including Poster Sessions, a Career Fair, a Tech Expo, Mentoring Circles, and more.
The Call for Participation and Scholarship application is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Our event objectives include:
- Building community.
- Strengthening our collective, diverse voices.
- Promoting inclusion.
- Inspiring action.
Please send your questions and other inquiries to the following email address: HopperAustralia@AnitaB.org
If you would like to receive more information about Hopper Down Under and other events happening in your area, fill out this form.
We welcome people of all genders and backgrounds to attend the inaugural Hopper Down Under to celebrate diversity in tech in the Asia Pacific. Our program is designed to:
- Celebrate technical impact and accomplishments of women and gender diverse people at all career and academic levels
- Enable women to network with peers, allies and mentors in the Asia-Pacific region, and support one another along their career paths
- Equip women and allies with technical and career skills through a variety of interactive and hands-on sessions
- Inspire curiosity and action whether you are an experienced technologist or new to the technology field
We appreciate your enthusiasm for Hopper Down Under and your commitment to gender diversity in technology. To make attendance accessible to all, we will provide flexible registration options, including:
- Full two-day registration (all programs, career fair and lunch for two days)
- Scholarships (limited number of scholarships will be available to provide free admission to all programs, career fair and lunch for two days)
- General Registration will open on May 22. We look forward to seeing you at the conference in July!
Please note: All sales are final and cannot be cancelled or refunded. You may substitute a new attendee if you are not able to attend.
Sponsorship Prospectus is now available. View Sponsorships.
- Genevieve Bell, A3 Institute
- Professor Sue Black OBE, Durham University
- Elizabeth Croft, Monash University
- Jaleh Daei, AgriFood Tech
- Lisa Harvey-Smith, Australia’s STEM Ambassador
- Elanor Huntington, Australian National University
- Major General Kathryn Toohey, Australian Army
We will post more details about our speakers and schedule soon!
There will be six conference tracks for the inaugural Hopper Down Under covering a wide range of fields for every technical woman. These include Research, Careers & Leadership, Products, Technology, Education and a Poster Session.
The conference tracks will include presentations, panels, workshops and posters.
There are six conference tracks for Hopper Down Under, including:
Sponsors are a key facet of our community and through Hopper Down Under play an important role in building a collectively strong, diverse and inclusive tech community in the Asia-Pacific.
As a Sponsor, your organization gets an opportunity to support an event aimed directly at improving Diversity and Inclusion in the tech industry. It is a great way to showcase your commitment and support for women in tech, engage and encourage your current employees by giving them an opportunity to leverage all the conference has to offer and recruit top local-talent at our career fair.
Sponsor Levels & Benefits
Prospectus is available to download and sponsorships are open for purchase!
NOTE: Currently, sponsorships are available for purchase in USD only. Purchase in AUD will be available soon.
Have a question? Email: BusinessDevelopment@AnitaB.org
Our scholarship opportunities are closed now. Thank you for your interest.
Hopper Down Under Scholarships will provide funds for undergraduate students and graduate students to attend our two-day Celebration. Scholars who attend Hopper Down Under gain access to career workshops, networking opportunities, and memories that will last a lifetime.
- You must be a full-time student enrolled in an accredited degree program at a college, university, or high school at the time of applying.
- You must be a full-time student enrolled in an accredited degree program at a college or university at the time of Hopper Down Under (July 2019). Those graduating prior to Hopper Down Under are not eligible unless accepted to another related degree program (such as a M.S. or Ph.D. program).
- Show satisfactory progress toward a degree such as, but not limited to, computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical discipline such as electrical engineering, human-computer interaction, math, physics, or management information systems.
- Be able to demonstrate an interest in computing.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by July 29, 2019.
- You cannot accept more than one scholarship to attend.
- If you receive a scholarship and do not notify AnitaB.org that you cannot attend prior to Hopper Down Under, you will not be eligible in future years as this takes a scholarship away from another student that could have attended.
What are we looking for in a student scholar?
Volunteers are an important part of Hopper Down Under. Each volunteer works between 5 and 8 hours (divided in several shifts), helping with various conference management activities.
In exchange for their time and help, volunteers receive a complimentary registration to Hopper Down Under. When they are not on duty, volunteers are allowed to attend sessions, visit the career fair, and take advantage of everything the conference has to offer.
The volunteers work multiple short shifts, up to eight non-consecutive hours spread over the three days of the conference. They must attend an orientation and commit to their assigned shifts. Shifts cannot be exchanged on site. Volunteers may sometimes miss sessions in order to make Hopper Down Under run successfully.
Volunteers receive a complimentary registration to Hopper Down Under, but they must pay for their own transportation, lodging, meals, and other expenses.
Due to limited space in the program, our selection process is competitive. We factor in availability, interest, commitment to the program, and experience volunteering in big events. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
Fill out the application form. Decisions will be emailed at the end of May 2019.
If we accept you into the Hopper Down Under Volunteer Program, you must:
- be available for volunteer tasks during the entire conference;
- attend the mandatory orientation meeting on the evening of July 29
- dedicate 5-8 hours of your time to volunteer assignments during the event
- commit to the assignments we will give you
- pay for your own expenses during the conference (you will receive complimentary registration to the event)
- If you attend Hopper Down Under and do not perform your volunteer assignments, you will be billed for the full amount of one registration (student A$100, general A$900).